THE BIG STEPOFF 2016
MARCH 12TH ~ APRIL 9TH ~ JUNE 18TH
3rd Place - Leo Franklin Sr & Zeriuah Love
2nd Place - Warren “Stylez” Harvey & Vanessa Robinson
1st Place – Rafael & Deneane Hancock
Steppin' and All That Jazz!
A 10,000 KANSAS CITY 2 STEP CONTEST
THE BIG STEPOFF SCHEDULE
Click Each Date For More Information
Saturday March 12th at 2pm
The Big Stepoff Prelude to the Semi Finals at the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art in KCMO. The After Party immediately following at 3pm
THIS IS A FREE EVENT!
Saturday April 9 at 6pm
The Big Stepoff Semi Finals... at The Promise Wedding and Event Space in Gates BBQ shopping center off 47th St in KCMO.
General Admission Tickets
$15 ADV (limited amount)
$20 (after limited gone and at the door)
VIP Seating Available
- Al Baker & Priscilla Harris
- Amir Salaam & Darlene Salaam
- Eric Estelle & Victoria Little
- James Union & Trabeon Williams
- Leo Franklin & Zeruiah Love
- Michael Henderson & Billie Watkins
- Nathan Mack & Nina Blurton
- Rafael Hancock & Deneane White
- Will Smith & Nikol Anderson (Booker)
Saturday June 18th at 6pm
The BIG StepOff Finals at the Gem Theater in the 18th & Vine District - 1615 E 18th St, KCMO 64108 KCMO. The After Party will follow immediately across the street at the American Jazz Museum.
General Admission Tickets
$20 ADV (limited amount)
$25 - $30.00 (after limited gone and at the door)
VIP Seating Available - submit your inquiry to the website's contact page
To enter in The Big Step-Off…you cannot be a professional dancer”
• Sign-ups must be in person
• Sign-up fee is per person (15.00 – 1stweek, $20.00 2nd week , $25.00 3rd week (non-refundable)
• Sign-up categories: Traditional: Any age of same age or mixed–age partners 25 years and older
Steppin' Contestants…you will be judged on 1-5: up to 5 points each until the Finals – up to 10 points
• THE COMMAND OF THE FUNDAMENTAL ELEMENTS OF 2-STEPPIN
• THE EVIDENT EASE AND CLEAN EXECUTION OF THE STEPS (ESPECIALLY OF MORE DIFFICULT MOVEMENTS/TURNS/DIPS/PATTERNS, ETC.).
• CREATING YOUR OWN 2-STEP STYLE
2. TIMING/RHYTHM/ MUSICAL INTERPRETATION:
• THE APPROPRIATE MATCHING OF BODY MOTIONS AND FOOTWORK TO THE METERS AND RHYTHMS OF THE MUSIC
• RESPONDING TO THE MUSIC BY TAKING THE DANCE BEYOND A MERE COMBINATION OF PATTERNS.
3. OVERALL PRESENTATION
• YOU WILL BE JUDGED BY YOUR OVERALL PRESENTATION.
• THE JUDGES WILL BE LOOKING AT ALL OF THE CATEGORIES IN GENERAL IN WHICH YOU ARE BEING JUDGED ON
• THEY WILL ALSO BE WATCHING YOUR CONFIDENCE ON THE FLOOR.
• MAKE SURE YOU ARE DANCING WITH CONFIDENCE AND CHARISMA
• APPEARANCE -NO SAGGING JEANS ALLOWED. WE STRONGLY SUGGEST TASTEFUL ATTIRE.
• YOU WILL BE JUDGED ON HOW WELL YOU AND YOUR PARTNER
EXECUTE YOUR STEPS AND THAT YOU ARE A BALANCED COUPLE IN THE SHOWMANSHIP OF YOUR CHOREOGRAPHY… LEADING AND
FOLLOWING IS WHAT THIS CATEGORY IS ALL ABOUT
5. CROWD PLEASING APPEAL
• IS THE CROWD FEELING YOU AS COUPLE ON A WHOLE?
• DO THEY SEEM TO BE ENGAGED IN YOUR FLOW AND SYNERGY?
• ARE YOU CREATING Crowd INTEREST with your flow?
• THERE WILL BE NO BOOING ALLOWED – SO TELL YOUR PEEPS!
6. Bells and Whistles
• Do you have a short skit or showcase
• Do you want to incorporate another dance discipline into your steppin
• Do you want to climb the walls
• As long as you do this…and still enter and come out with the KC 2Step (ON STEP/BEAT)
• This category will be judged with more strict criteria
Rules regarding ATTITUDE/BEHAVIOR
• RESPECT YOURSELF,OTHER CONTESTANTS, PRODUCERS & VENUES
• TAKE PRIDE IN OUR KC CULTURE…THIS IS AN OL' SCHOOL DERIVATIVE DANCE
• NO CONFLICTS/ARGUING WITH or NO APPROACHING ANY OF THE JUDGES, OTHER CONTESTANTS OR EVENT PRODUCERS/COORDINATORS WITH ISSUES/OBJECTIONS in a threatening or disrespectful manner.
• NO PROFANITY OR DEGRADING/OFFENSIVE BEHAVIOR
THE JUDGES DECISIONS ARE FINAL
[Any unusual circumstances will be handled at the discretion of the Contest Coordinator]
• ANY VIOLATION OF SAID RULES WILL BE TERMS FOR IMMEDIATE DISMISSAL FROM THE CONTEST (with NO refund of entry fee)
Rules regarding Tickets for the FINALS
• Although you are urged to promote the sales of tickets for your guests, fans and followers…ALL Tickets Sales for the Semi-FINALS and Finals will be handled and sold by the promoter/contest coordinator of this production – De Barker (unless she deems otherwise)
IF ANY of the aforementioned rules are broken, YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED …NO EXCEPTIONS…NO REFUNDS!
***The 2Step Rings are a part of the prize package for the 1st Place winners, yet the rings MUST be ordered once the winners have been identified and sized. The cash purse of $10,000 as well as the rings will be presented in a ceremony to all winners upon arrival of the ordered rings (approximately a 2-week time period)
***1st, 2nd, 3rd Place winners receive trophies individually
*** 1st Place couple -$5000 2nd Place couple -$3000 3rd Place couple - $2000
Music¬: The contest music will be chosen by the DJ with the following conditions;
• The Head Judge and the Dance Contest Coordinator may assist in the selection of the music, or give guidelines regarding tempo and style selections
• The Contestants are welcome to give music suggestions throughout the competition and will be allowed to have ONE individual dance selection song (which may be faded) for the SEMI-Finals.
• For The Finals – Music selection is per the DJs and The Live Jazz Band for a group dance or 2
Length of Contest: The length of the contest is dependent upon the number of contestants.
• Generally within a 2 hour span until the completion of the competition piece
• Contestants will dance to a minimum of 2 songs.
• Semi-Finals and Finals may extend longer due to more time in the individuals dances
Partners Split: You may enter the contest with ONLY one partner
• In the unlikely event your partner bails on you or has a misfortunate circumstance AFTER you have ALREADY qualified for the SEMI-FINALS, YOU may enter a petition with your reasoning to the producer/judges for consideration with another partner
• In the unlikely event your partner bails on you or has a misfortunate circumstance AFTER you have ALREADY qualified for the FINALS, YOU may enter FINALS with another partner who has also ALREADY qualified for the FINALS
• YOU may also enter a petition with your reasoning to the promoter/contest coordinator/judges for consideration with another partner
• Any unusual circumstances will be handled at the discretion of the Contest Coordinator
- Must have knowledge on partner dancing.
- Must have knowledge on KC 2-Stepping.
- Must NOT be a member of ANY 2Steppin' group
- Must NOT let ANY biased opinions regarding ANY contestant creep into their ability to fairly and accurately judge.
- Must use the utmost tact and ethics as they partake in the tasks of scoring each contestant/couple.
- Must be willing to be interviewed and deemed as judges by a combination of a team of their peers which may or may not include the 2Step contestants
- Judging fairly, honestly and unbiased…
- Adding/track scores to perfection
- Addressing all contest questions/concerns surrounding the contest with the Contest Coordinator
- Respecting other judges, the contestants, producers/venues/facilitators
- Selecting from the 2Step Schedule your available dates of commitment for judging
- Reading and acknowledging all contestant documentation (Rule sheets, Sign-up sheets, Score-cards, numbering system for Contestants, Promotional material and Preliminary scheduling)
- Advertising Campaign (Fliers, Social Media, Emails, Text messaging, club announcements)
EVERYONE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR DISPLAYING THE UTMOST INTEGRITY.
Let's continue to have fun and keep the 2Step game exciting and honorable.
Let's be the example for those who want to connect with the love and passion we have for KC 2Step.
HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK!
It's not too late if you want to become a sponsor/vendor. Contact De Barker at (816) 446-0169 or fill out the form below.
We would like to thank our current sponsors:
2 the Maaxe
American Jazz Museum/ Gem Theater
Black Tie Next Level Group
Diamond Cut Barbershop
Exquisite Connoisseur Magazine & Radio Show
Grown Folks Entertainment & Grown Folks News Era
I.D.E.A. Management Group
IDEA- Dea Davis
Jack Ree's Bakery
Kevin Abernathy Sr
Lonnie Bush Fitness
Master Kee Productions
Mo Mo Italian Kitchen
Mutual Musicians Foundation International
Phantom Entertainment and Promotions
Point 5 Productions
Rookies Sports Lounge & Grille
The Grill Deal
The Music & More Foundation
Tony Keith Productions
Wilma's Little Girls